I just met with a potential client who’s planning a significant home renovation. She loves her house and the setting, but she’s ready to update her kitchen, adjacent family room, dining room and bathrooms. A common question came up during our meeting: “How will you (the designer) help me (the client)? How will we work together?”
In addition to providing design services, here’s a list of important things that interior designers do on a personal level to help clients see their goals come to fruition and to help make the design process as seamless as possible:
- Listen to clients’ wishes and requirements, aesthetically, functionally and financially.
- Organize those wishes and requirements to create attainable project goals.
- Empathize with clients’ feelings about present conditions and future goals.
- Prioritize the goals to create a project plan and time line, and to establish a firm budget.
- Research to provide the best possible options and solutions for clients.
- Act as liaison between clients and contractors.
- Solve problems and offer creative and smart solutions to issues that arise during projects.
- Save clients’ time or money – or both!
- Provide a long term view to incorporate the big picture for future projects.
- Build confidence – help clients become confident in their decisions and in their taste.
It’s always my goal to end with great results and positive reviews. Happy Client=Happy Designer!